Leader In Training Program
The "Leaders in Training" (LIT) Program at Forest Lake Camp is a leadership program specifically designed to not only prepare a camper for being a camp counselor, but also a leader in society. The LIT program is a 'life' program that helps prepare kids for adulthood, college, and additional responsibility. It is bigger than a traditional CIT program. This is an opportunity for our 16-year-old campers.
A LIT is first and foremost, a great role model. He is someone who embodies the best characteristics of FLC: confident in trying new things, responsible, respectful, fun, and has grown into a leadership role which shows he/she can be flexible, make positive improvements with little direction, and is willing to take on challenges.
Some of the things a LIT can expect of his/her summer are to:
- Assist counselors and learn from them in both the cabins and activities
- Be involved in meetings (planning, informational and training)
- Be granted special privileges that come with their added responsibilities
- Add Leadership Training to your resume after successful completion of the program
- If you are ready to succeed in FLC’s LIT responsibilities, then we encourage you to apply to the program. Unfortunately we are not always able to accept all who apply, so please ensure you are ready for the additional responsibilities and challenges of being a LIT.
In order to apply, a LIT candidate needs to send us a Letter of Intent (LOI) along with your enrollment application. This is a one-page letter explaining to us why the candidate feels he/she would make a great FLC LIT. “I would make a great FLC LIT because . . . .”
Letters of Intent should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receiving a LIT letter and online enrollment application, we review the application and make a decision within 2 weeks. Please keep in mind that enrollment as a camper will not be effected should a 16 year old not wish to be a LIT or does not get accepted into the program. In other words it is not mandatory for you to be a LIT in order to attend FLC at 16 years of age as this program is not always for everybody.
LIT’s are required to enroll at a minimum in the full 3 week session and many will enroll in the full 7 week summer. Any camper accepted into the LIT program will receive a 10% discount on tuition.